Foreign Nationals Driving in the U.S.
Kết quả xổ số minh ngọc hôm nayLearn if non-citizens need a U.S. driver's license when visiting or temporarily living in the United States and how to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in each state. Also, get information on renting a car and what other documents you may need while driving in the U.S.
Foreign Nationals Driving in the United States
People who drive in the U.S. must have a valid driver's license. If you're a foreign visitor, some states require you to have an International Driving Permit (IDP) and a valid license from your own country. Contact the motor vehicle department of each state you will be driving to find out its requirements.
Kết quả xổ số minh ngọc hôm nayIf you intend to get an IDP, you must do so in advance of your travel:
The United States does not issue IDPs to foreign visitors. To get an IDP, contact the motor vehicle department of the country that issued your driver's license.
Kết quả xổ số minh ngọc hôm nayIf you want to rent a car, you may need both your license and an IDP. Find out the rental company's policies and other requirements in advance.
Beware of .
Residents (Non-U.S. Citizens)
The residency requirement for obtaining a U.S. driver's license is different in each state:
A motor club membership The credit card you used to reserve the rental Your employer (if you're traveling on business) Damages: Inspect the vehicle for dents, scratches, and marks and check the tires. Report any pre-existing damages and ask the company to note them on your rental agreement. Fuel: Decide if you are going to prepay the rental company for fuel or refuel the car before you return it.Rental deposit: Rental companies hold a security deposit on your payment card. Find out the amount of the hold and when the company will remove it.Payment method: Pay with a credit card rather than a debit card to avoid holds on other funds in your checking account.
If you are eligible to apply for a driver's license, you must get a driver's license from the state where you live.
Check the requirements and find out how to apply by contacting your state's department of motor vehiclesKết quả xổ số minh ngọc hôm nay.
A U.S. driver's license allows you to drive anywhere in the U.S. It is your responsibility to know and obey the laws of the state where you are driving.
Kết quả xổ số minh ngọc hôm nayCar sharing services allow you to rent a car on an hourly basis. They offer flexibility in where and when you can pick up a vehicle.
- Fees: What fees does the company charge (annual fees, application fee)? Are they refundable, even if you cancel or are denied membership?
- Availability of cars: Are there cars available at times that you need one? How far in advance do you need to reserve a vehicle?
- Attendants: Are there staff on-site when you check out a car and return it? On-site staff can verify that you returned the car in the same condition as when you borrowed it.
- Fuel: Do you have to pay for gas out of your own pocket or does the company pay for it?
- Extension of time: How easy is it to extend the length of your rental? Is it done through an app or is there a dedicated customer service hotline?
- Cancellation: How far in advance must you give notice to cancel a reservation or your membership? Can the company cancel your membership without notification?
- Damages: Are you responsible for damages, even if they were not your fault or they happened after you returned the car?
- Insurance: Is insurance included in the membership fee?
Do you have a question?
Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.
Kết quả xổ số minh ngọc hôm nayLast Updated:
August 31, 2020